Christmas Fruit Cake

12/07/2014 06:25:00 pm 1 Comments A+ a-

Today on Christmas Eve , I promised my daughter to make a christmas fruit cake . I always wonder why this cake is called Christmas Plum Cake as there are none of any plums in it. After googling I found that in the old days, the British fruitcake normally contains as much as half of dried fruit as its weight , that was referred  as “plumb” or “plum” hence given the particular fruit cake its name.
It is very popular in Kerala and normally prepared with spices and caramel sauce that gives the cake dense deep brown color . I omitted that caramel part , may be next year will try that also.

My daughter couldn't take her eyes off from the cake and tasted some of it before clicking . You can see the shredded edges in the pics.

 





I like this time of the year most , it's Christmas !! Everyone is preparing for Christmas celebrations , markets , malls are decorated with Christmas tree and Santa Claus . I am sure all of you are baking something in your oven . Isn't it ? Well normally we would like to buy cake on Christmas but thus year I baked my own fruit cake . I adapted the recipe from sailu's and concocted it according to my taste.



For the last week of BM#35 I always ask for special theme as I like this theme the most . It gives us liberty to make our bookmarked recipes and I have bookmarked this cake since long . So here is my attempt of this wonderful eggless Christmas fruit cake. Let's star the recipe . Yum




Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup All purpose flour +extra for dusting
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon all spice powder

Dried fruits to be soaked
1/4 cup tutti fruti
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup cashew nuts
1/4 cup raisins
1/8 cup walnuts
1/4 cup dates
1/8 cup apricots


1 cup apple juice
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup butter , melted

Method:
Preheat the oven at 180 degrees and line and dust the 8 " cake tin with butter and dry flour or parchment paper.
Chop all the dried fruits , and soak them in apple juice for one day . Drain the dried fruits just before baking the cake and dust them with dry flour.
Sift together all purpose flour , all spice powder , baking powder and salt . Set aside.
Take brown sugar in a bowl , add butter milk and whisk it . Add baking soda , and whisk again . Wait till it becomes frothy.



Now add melted butter and whisk again.
Add the sifted flour in the sugar mixture in two batches . Mix it gently .
Add dried fruits and nuts , stir gently and add hot water if required. Pour it into the prepared pans and bake for 45 minutes at 180 degrees.



Check with toothpick inserted in the center . Cool the cake on wire rack. Slice and serve.



Enjoy this wonderful cake .




One more slice...Merry Christmas !!



Serve-8. Baking time -45 minutes

Notes: Here I have used apple juice but You may soak the fruits in wine or rum 1 week or few days before and store it in refrigerator.
This cake can be kept at room temperature for 3-4 days. You may use your preferred choice of dried fruits.









Best regards,
Sapana Behl

1 comments:

Write comments
19 December 2014 at 14:01 delete

awesome cake...happy to follow you, visit my space too

Reply
avatar

Please feel free to comment or share your encouraging ideas!